Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Review: DCDR - Raw

It’s late and cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon are $2. A crowd of flannel-bearing bar-goers have stuck around through the opening acts to wait for DCDR to rock their faces off. This is the scene DCDR have played for years in the Boston area, and are now deservedly with Ocelot Records getting more exposure.

Dead Cats Dead Rats (yeah, like The Doors tune), now known simply as DCDR, hail from Massachusetts and are always in the conversation when it comes to best punk in Boston. And while just a trio, they pack a sick, grungy sound. Never straying from their signature style over the years, their sound is thick and heavy, yet catchy and danceable.

DCDR Raw album cover
Source: ocelotrecords.bandcamp.com
In the latest release entitled Raw, there’s so much adrenaline in Nirvana- and Misfits-like riffing of songs that are over in just two minutes. “Cut My Teeth” starts off with playful tinkering before erupting into a frenzy of sorts. “Big Trouble” is one of my favorites with tasty guitars, a catchy chorus, and a chunky bridge.

I believe Raw was recorded live to capture the sound and experience that one would see at a show, and the title Raw is indicative of this. It's one of the tightest, shortest 7-track albums you’ll hear. DCDR have really found their niche and sound with engineer/producer Richard Marr at Galaxy Studios, working with him dating back to their first album (self-titled). Richard is great at mixing and blending everything to sound like one dirty, grungy unit.

Of all the bands in the Boston area, DCDR are one of my favorites. Matt, Chris, and Travis are great musicians and friendly guys, so send them a note if you like their stuff.

Disclosure: I was provided a complimentary product in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm Seth, owner of the Giveaway Guy blog. I live in the suburbs outside of Boston with my wife and have a career in SEO. I enjoy writing reviews and entering giveaways in my spare time.
Designed ByBlogger Templates