Friday, March 13, 2015

Movie review: Birdman (2014)

Birdman is a black comedy about actor Riggan Thomson (Michael Keaton) and his descent into Hollywood obscurity. Previously famous as the superhero Birdman, Thomson struggles to get his Broadway play off the ground.


A bit of a one-trick pony, Birdman appears as if it was shot in one, long single take. Daring or gimmicky, you decide. Personally I found it pretty fresh and something I don't believe I've seen before. At times I watched the camerawork closely to critique the transitions between scenes, and other times I just lost myself in the flow. And it flows very well.

The dialogue is rather dramatic and satirical, but that's the intention. I mean, it's Broadway. The way backstage life shown is probably not entirely accurate, but what do I know? In this particular Broadway setting, you'll run into nudity, booze, and an uncomfortable rape situation. Come to think of it, there are plenty of uncomfortable situations that are done well.

Michael Keaton is as good as I've ever seen him. While he didn't win Best Actor for this year's Oscars, the film deservedly won Best Picture. His role as a forgotten superhero is the perfect fit for him (ahem, Batman), and it's as if we're immersed in his actual life as the camera follows him around. His character is entitled, complains, and hates the idea of being forgotten.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm Seth, owner of the Giveaway Guy blog. I live in the suburbs outside of Boston with my wife and have a career in SEO. I enjoy writing reviews and entering giveaways in my spare time.
Designed ByBlogger Templates